Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Utterly Deadly Southern Pecan Pie


I've been meaning to share a classic pecan pie with you for a while, and what better time than the day before Thanksgiving right? I've been making variations of this pie all week (don't ask me how my pants are fitting) and finally have the proportions the way I like 'em. So without further ado, here's my Utterly Deadly Southern Pecan Pie:


"Too much and the effect is utterly deadly on the digestion- and the figure." -vintage Southern Cooking, 1953

The original recipe from the book is modest by comparison, so I figure my version is definitely worthy of the "utterly deadly" title. It's rich but so worth the calories - full of pecans with a perfect crackly caramel crust and smooth sweet filling. No messy corn syrups are used, and if you have the pecans on hand the rest comes together with pantry staples.

I use my favorite sweet pie crust, but use whatever you like, even store bought is fine. This pie bakes for quite a while so be sure to cover your crust to prevent burning. I go ahead and cover it from the start so I don't have to fuss with taking the pie in and out of the hot oven.


Utterly Deadly Southern Pecan Pie
(printable recipe)

1 unbaked pie crust
4 eggs
1/2 c (1 stick) butter, melted and brought to room temp.
1 1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c sugar
2 tbsp. flour
2 tbsp. milk
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla*
1/2 c chopped pecans
pecan halves to cover the top

Beat the eggs until foamy, add the melted butter. Stir in sugars & flour. Mix well. Add milk, vanilla, and chopped pecans.

Dust your pan with powdered sugar, then place the crust in the pan. Shape the edges and dust the bottom with a tablespoon of powdered sugar, this will help absorb any extra grease from the pie. Pour the filling into the crust and top with pecan halves. Cover the crust with foil to prevent burning.

Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes, then turn the heat down to 300 degrees and bake for another 30 minutes. Turn off the oven and allow the pie to cool several hours or overnight before removing. It is easiest to cut at room temperature.

*you may also use bourbon or other flavoring instead of the vanilla.

Also I wanted to add that this recipe works perfectly in a standard 9" pie pan. I was running out of pie pans so I used my 10" cast iron skillet. I wrapped the bottom in foil to prevent the crust from being overcooked.

9 comments:

  1. Pecan pie is my favorite - and I can't wait to try this version - thank you for the tip about covering from the start - no matter what I do - my crust is overbaked - I never read anywhere to cover from the start - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A HUSBAND IN NEED

    Great, delicious - but,how do you prevent the pie crust from sticking to the frying pan when it is finished. Where does the foil go? Do you spray with Pam before putting the pie crust in at the start? Help, please. It is so good, but we would like to remove it in pieces without tearing the crust when we take it out? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use Pam and it works very well! Spray a good amount and good luck(:

      Delete
  3. I've never had any issues removing it from the pan, this pie has a high fat content :) so it has never stuck on me. In fact I throw a spoonful of powdered sugar in the bottom of the pan to help soak up any extra grease before I put the crust in. Although I can see where you could have trouble if you are not using well seasoned cast iron.
    The foil goes around the edges of the pie crust to prevent it from over browning. You may need 3-4 strips to wrap around the pie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I wrapped the bottom in foil to prevent the crust from being overcooked."

    Does the foil go in the bottom of the skillet under the crust? My husband loves Pecan Pie and wants to try this today.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ tphillips5113: this step is not really necessary-it doesn't seem to make a difference either way, I was just paranoid I think.
    But if you choose to do it I put the foil around the outside of the skillet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this recipe. However, one issue I have is that the top rises too much (an inch or so) and swallows the pecan halves. The top is more dry and brittle; your top looks a little more chewy.

    Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Could I be beating the eggs too long?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made this pie for our "Wine Group" and they all raved about it. It wasn't too sweet! Now they all want the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you make up that book quote about "utterly deadly?" I cannot find any such book, and I looked extensively online. What is the actual title and publication date and/or publisher's name?

    ReplyDelete