Sunday, November 7, 2010

Oatmeal Scotchies


Quick, what's your favorite cookie?

Chances are Oatmeal Scotchies didn't come to mind. You likely answered chocolate chip, peanut butter, snickerdoodles, or maybe plain oatmeal cookies. Oatmeal Scotchies are often overlooked in the cookie world but to me they possess all the qualities of a great cookie: The brown sugar sweetness of a chocolate chip cookie, the cinnamon-spice of a snickerdoodle, and the crunchy (yet chewy) texture of an oatmeal cookie, all topped off with rich butterscotch flavor. What's not to love?


Oatmeal Scotchies
(printable recipe)

3/4 c brown sugar
1/2 c sugar
3/4 c butter, room temperature
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 c flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 c oats
3/4 c butterscotch chips

Combine the butter and sugars and beat until fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla.
In a separate bowl combine all remaining ingredients except the oats and butterscotch chips. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well. Form 1" balls and space 2" apart. Bake at 350 degrees, 10-12 minutes. Allow them to cool on the cookie sheet for 2 minutes. Remove and cool on wire racks. If you like, melt about 1/2 c of butterscotch chips and pipe a swirl on each cookie.

3 comments:

  1. These look delicious and I'm super in love with your plate. Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks kickpleat, I'm a sucker for vintage china.

    That's one of my favorite patterns in the photo, its 1950s Taylor Smith & Taylor - Colorcraft, I have a teal/green version too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum. My friend directed me to this post, and I'm in the midst of baking them off right now. I've never had a scotchie before, but I may now be hooked! :)

    ReplyDelete