Saturday, November 27, 2010

Kitchen Tour

It's Saturday. I have a fridge full of leftovers and no desire or need to cook. So I'm taking this weekend after Thanksgiving to give my kitchen a good scrubbing and tackle a little organizing project.

I thought it might be fun to take a look back at some photos I took during the summer. My kitchen was clean and bright, the counters were clear, the dishes were done... Ah, memories.

At the very least it's a good incentive to get to work and prepare for all the Christmas cooking I have planned. But that's just what I'm telling myself - really I'm just procrastinating and putting off cleaning for just a few more minutes.


Here's my stove- a 1950's Tappan Deluxe. It is immediately to the left when you walk in the kitchen. The rack I purchased for extra storage (and I was tired of digging my pans out of a low cabinet). I've got all my cast iron on hooks for easy access and large pots above and a bit of bulk storage below.


To the right of the wire rack is a few cabinets and an alcove (where the stove used to be) where we keep our deep freeze. This clock sits on the wall above the freezer. Look at how much the wall color changed in the photos! Weird.

To the right of the deep freeze is this counter and corner sink. I think all kitchen sinks should be beneath a window don't you?
I've since cluttered this space with another plant and few of my cookbooks..it might be time to move those.

To the right of the sink is another small counter with our dishwasher below.
Confession: I never use it.
It's full of tupperware and seasonal stuff (popsicle molds, gingerbread pans, empty canning jars) I'm thinking about removing it and putting open shelving there...not sure yet.


Along this same wall, on the right side of the kitchen is this little dining space. It's where I take 80% of my photos (thank goodness for natural lighting)!

But we've always struggled with this area- it's an awkward size and just isn't quite right for this table.


We have since found this little vintage red dinette. A much better fit! (but a really crummy photo).


Here's the tree that sits outside the window. I love it- anyone know what kind of tree this is?

This island / divider juts out and closes off our little dining area. I keep all my small appliances (and microwave!) in the cabinets below.

Here's our Kelvinator fridge. It's a relic - I debate about whether or not to make Hank paint it. A part of me would love to see it redone but another part of me loves it in it's found state- rust, wear marks and all. I pray to the appliance gods every day to keep it running (thank you!) and to defrost the freezer for me- they never do.

That's about it, folks. I've procrastinated long enough I think...off to clean and organize!

11 comments:

  1. That tree is a Mimosa. They call it the sensitive plant. If you touch the leaves they fold up. The flowers smell heavenly but they make a huge awful mess once they drop. I had 3 and ended up chopping two down. While its smelled wonderful when the flowers were in bloom, the clean up was awful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mimosas (Albizia Julibrissin) or Pink Powder Puff Trees are common in North Tx, and hardy to zone 6, and are one of my favorite trees too. My grandmother had a yard full, and we would string the green seeds on thread for necklaces. The dry seeds were too hard.
    The sensitive plant is Mimosa Pudica.
    I LOVE your retro kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm. I thought that was what this was too, but I had been second guessing myself. Well, I guess now we have some confirmation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we need a better picture of the little red dinette and a refinish on the fridge, just because I've threatened to do it for ages, and because it could look even better, not that it doesn't look great now.
    -the over-commentor

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your kitchen! I love your stove and I love those corner windows over the sink with the elevated ledge, perfect for herb plants. I love the color, the tile, the fabric. OK, I love everything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The tree is an Albizia, technically..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leave the fridge as is its amazing, I wish mine looked like that ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. coming late to this post but i love seeing your kitchen. i watch the HGTV/House Hunter shows and they all mindlessly recite how they absolutely MUST have granite countertops and stainless steel appliances, and how they'll have to "update" bathroom tile that is still perfectly functional and often unique; how unimaginative and cookie-cutter can you be? that's a beautiful nook you have with the windows. meanwhile, i can see where the fridge would look pretty with a coat of paint, but it's a beautiful work of art on its own, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. TG I've seen a lot of that too, it's disheartening to hear about people ripping out old tile or tossing out the very things that make their home unique, even if they are outdated. I've been into all things midcentury for years and years and its only recently that its been all the rage, just proof that everything comes in and out of vogue.

    ReplyDelete