Monday, November 15, 2010

Spiced Tortilla Chips


I hate to see these chips at a restaurant. Why, you ask? Well, it's my own fault I guess. First of all, you should know that every Tex-Mex joint in Dallas serves free chips and salsa, it's a given. You sit down and before you have a chance to order a beer, you've got chips. And salsa.

I try to watch what I eat so I can usually drum up enough willpower to resist them. Sometimes I have a few. Or twenty.


But when I find a place with these chips - fresh, greasy, dusted with spices and still warm? I cannot resist, I dive right in and I may as well be having chips for dinner. And I'm ok with that.

And when no one seems to be serving these I make them at home. It's the right thing to do.

Spiced Tortilla Chips
(printable recipe)

2 tsp. chili powder
1/8 tsp. cayenne
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. comino
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. onion powder
corn tortillas
canola oil for frying

Combine the spices and mix well. Taste and add any additional seasoning if needed. Cut the corn tortillas into 6ths, to make triangles. Working in batches, fry at 350 degrees until crisp. Remove from the hot oil and place on paper towels, dust the chips with seasoning as each batch comes out of the fryer. Serve with salsa, guacamole, or queso.


2 comments:

  1. I would be very happy with that basket of chips and that dish of guacamole for my dinner. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhh chips and salsa. i have actually had just chips and guacamole for dinner and i have never regretted it. not once. i shall be making these sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete