Friday, November 5, 2010

Jamaica (Hibiscus Flower Tea)


Every once in a while I'll spot a new (to me) ingredient at the grocery store and toss it into my cart in order to force myself to make something. It's a sure method to keep experimenting and trying new things. I had these dried hibiscus flowers in my pantry for a solid week when I remembered I was supposed make tea with them. I had tried the Jamaica Jarritos before and liked them, but wanted to make the real thing. I'm so glad I did- the flavor is sweet, a little tart, and floral all at once.


Jamaica (Hibiscus Flower Tea)
(printable recipe)

1 1/2 c (2 oz) dried hibiscus flowers
3/4 c sugar
3 c boiling water
6 c cold water

Steep the hibiscus flowers in boiling water for 20 minutes. Strain the tea and add sugar, stir to dissolve sugar. Add cold water and chill. Serve over ice with a lime garnish.

Can also be served hot!


The deep ruby red color is gorgeous in your glass but can stain, so use caution.

5 comments:

  1. That looks so good! I will have to hunt around to see if I can find dried hibiscus flowers here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an extremely mild for of what we Jamaicans call sorrel. Traditionally, it was only made once a year - for the Christmas holidays - and it's made with rum for the adults who drink alcohol. There's also a white version as well. Good times. Cheers.

    http://goldenisaacs.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This drink looks really refreshing. I have to try this one out and go find some dried hibiscus leaves. Christmas is almost here, and this is perfect. Thanks, Cheers!

    Cindy @ flowers tea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Plantation Blue Best 100% original Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee Beans– Our goal is to provide you with simply amazing tasty coffee at manageable prices without sacrificing the quality. Certified by the (JACRA).

    ReplyDelete