Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Dairy-Ette


For years I never drank root beer. It's not because I didn't like it, but because I thought the bottled stuff could never measure up to that frosty mug of root beer I had as a kid. I remember it clearly... the place was your typical drive in- very 1950's style with car hops and everything. I have no idea what we ate but the root beer was what really struck a chord. It was served in a giant frosty mug so big I could barely get my hands to grasp it. The root beer was ice cold and almost starting to freeze to the mug on the sides. It was so good it ruined me on root beer from that moment forward. What's funny is I could never remember where that place was or what it was called. Then a few years ago while out thrifting in my old neighborhood I stumbled upon it - the Dairy-Ette. It was a revelation, to say the least. I immediately pulled in and ordered a root beer and sipped to my heart's content.


Hank and I stop in for chili cheese dogs and root beers every chance we get. The soft serve ice cream is a real treat too. It's so nice to find an old favorite again.

5 comments:

  1. Where was this place? The sign looks familiar to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @nicolepdx: its at Ferguson and Oates, 9785 Ferguson Road Dallas, 75228

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! My grandmother lived a few blocks from there. I knew I had been there before. Small world! I enjoy reading your blog. I'm a multi-generation Texan (Dallas area) and now live in Portland, OR. What I miss most is the food, although the food here is great. Just miss all the stuff I grew up with. I'm planning to make your chicken sour cream enchildas tonight. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, how cool Nicole!! It is such a small world sometimes!! Hope you enjoyed the enchiladas :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could see it from my bedroom window!! My mom would call in Shrimp Baskets on Friday evening and I would walk across Oates and pick them up. As an adult, my husband and I owned a country cafe in East Texas and I put Shrimp Baskets on the menu, fixed exactly like they did including Texas Toast and sliced pickles. Did you go to Bryan Adams HS??

    ReplyDelete