Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Red Pozole


The first time I tried red Pozole I was working at a job I didn't particularly like. My co-workers were great but I wasn't happy with the way management treated us and how the place was run. Anyways, on this particular day it had iced over outside and was sleeting. Hank drove me the 10 minutes to work and I relieved the person working the overnight shift. The rest of my co-workers filed in, some late, but all miserable from the weather. After a particularly grueling morning, I was starving. I hadn't brought much to eat, just a few snacks I snuck in my purse. A friend of mine called me into the nearby kitchenette. I crept away from my desk to see what the commotion was, and as luck would have it another co-worker had brought some pozole for all of us. It was a welcome treat to everyone who was working that day. I heated up a small bowl and sipped and slurped to my heart's content.

Recently I devised my own version of red pozole. It's a lot like what I remember with plenty of hominy and tender bits of pork all in a deliciously flavored broth. It's the perfect warming dish on a cold day.


Red Pozole
(printable recipe)

2 lbs. boneless pork ribs, diced
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 29oz. can hominy
1 dried guajillo chile
1 dried ancho chile
2 tbsp. chili powder
1 tbsp. garlic salt
1 tsp. oregano (Mexican oregano, if available)

Simmer the pork, onion, garlic, and 4 c water over medium heat for 1 hour. Add the hominy with its liquid and simmer for another hour.
Soak the chiles in enough boiling water to cover them for 30 minutes. Remove from the liquid and remove the stems and seeds. Puree the chiles with 1/4 c of the soaking liquid. Add the chile puree, spices and another 4 c water. Simmer 20 - 30 minutes.
Serve with corn tortillas, lime wedges, and a little cilantro.

2 comments:

  1. i JUST made red posole thanksgiving week! i used pork shoulder and did it in the crockpot. so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been looking for a good red pozole recipe - perfect to melt away the chill in NYC today! So happy I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete