Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Gasp! Chili with Beans


I know, I know, what in the @#&$%! must I be thinking! I'm a Texan!! The HUNGRY TEXAN by golly! Fact is, even after that long winded post about Real Texas Chili, blah blah blah, I'm Hispanic. And I like beans. And beer. Period.

And purist-pride aside for a moment, my mom always made chili with beans and beer (and tomatoes) and the first chili I made was with beans and beer. This is that chili. It's delicious and satisfying, and I may have won several chili cookoffs with this very recipe. (I did!)


Make this, enjoy it, and literally swallow your pride for a minute. It's ok you have my permission.

Gasp! Chili with Beans
(printable recipe)

4 lbs. coarse ground chili meat*
1 1/2 c diced onion
1 1/2 c diced red bell pepper
2 large jalapeños, sliced thin
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 bottle of beer
2 (15 oz.) cans stewed tomatoes, chopped w/ juice
2 (15 oz.) cans red kidney beans, drained
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained
chili seasonings to taste (sorry, I can't give out the whole recipe!)


*Start with good quality meat. My butcher uses coarsely ground steak and roast trimmings. It may be a little pricey, but is worth every penny in texture and flavor.

Saute the veggies in a little oil, add the meat and cook until half done. Add the beer and tomatoes. Simmer a few minutes then add the beans and seasonings. Simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

6 comments:

  1. you know, i am not a big fan of beans in chili, but i have to admit that, on cattle drives, beans were almost certainly a part of chili. not only to stretch, because they were cheap and easy to store... so while i leave them out of mine, i think the "real" way to make it is with beans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! To me, chili without beans and beer is sort of...well, boring and not really worthwhile. Chili, beans and beer makes a happy man...:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this chili, and some of your other photos on photograzing. I came to your blog and have been looking around. I love your recipes and your photographs are gorgeous. I'm now following you. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks Sage Trifle! glad to have another follower!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your photos...love your blog...you have a new fan :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't gasp! I *love* chili *with* beans! I am not a big meat eater to begin with. I always choose chili with beans over just chili. When I read about chili purists, I pity them! To me, beans make it better!

    My stomach is growling! My saliva have gone to work! Me hungry...

    Thank you!!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete