Friday, October 29, 2010

The Hungry Texan's Ultimate Italian Sub


It's no secret that I love Italian food. If I hadn't been born Hispanic I would pray to be born Italian. I love pasta, pizza, and all the cheeses, sauces, and delicious deli meats. Jimmy's Food Store is one of my favorite spots in town to stock up on the good stuff. They have just about everything you'd need to make a gourmet Italian meal, or make one mean Italian Sub.

Enter this sandwich. I call it the Hungry Texan's Ultimate Italian Sub. It can feed 4 men (with hearty appetites) and definitely lives up to its name with layers upon layers of meat, cheese, and various roasted and pickled condiments. It's the perfect sandwich to take to a picnic, potluck, or even tailgating... Even though I'm not really into sports I'm sure some of you out there are following the World Series, Go Rangers! Watch the game(s) and chow down on this sandwich.


the Hungry Texan's Ultimate Italian Sub
(printable recipe)

1 large round loaf, about 10" in diameter
1/2 lb. mortadella
1/2 lb. capicola
1/2 lb. genoa salami
1/2 lb. prosciutto di parma
1/3 lb. provolone
1 jar (16 oz) olive salad (I use Boscoli)
1 jar (7 oz) roasted red peppers, sliced
1 jar (12 oz) marinated artichoke hearts, drained & chopped
1 jar (12 oz) mild banana peppers, sliced

Carefully slice the loaf in half to form a large bun. Scoop out the insides (top and bottom) to make a large cavity for the filling. Begin layering the various meats, cheese, and condiments. It helps to lay everything out assembly line style and layer in order, making sure to get everything evenly distributed. Be sure to use all the meat and cheese, you'll likely have extra condiments (these can be served on the side if you like). Once the loaf has been filled and topped off wrap it tightly in plastic wrap. Put a heavy pan over the top to weigh it down and chill the sandwich for at least 4 hours to let the flavors come together. Unwrap, slice in wedges, and drizzle with balsamic vinegar.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so wanting a wedge of that sandwich right about now! Phenomenal.

    Lol - if I hadn't been born with Italian blood, I would have been born with Hispanic blood because it's my 2nd favorite cuisine!!!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  2. In other words, a Muffelatta!

    ReplyDelete