Thursday, November 18, 2010

Chicken Flautas


I feel like I'm always looking for new ways to use random things taking up space in the fridge. Somehow when I'm at the store I forget that I'm not feeding an army and that Hank and I can only eat three times a day (much to our dismay), so we always seem to have different things accumulate.
Every week I assess the fridge situation and make my cooking priorities. This week I had some chicken and a bit of leftover Salsa Verde that needed to be used up in a hurry. I also had a few other odds and ends- some of Hank's dip and a little queso. With all the ingredients on hand and some quick work in the kitchen, these chicken flautas came together in about 30 minutes!

Chicken Flautas
(printable recipe)

2 large chicken breasts
salt, pepper, and comino to taste
1 c salsa verde (or any salsa you like)
6" corn tortillas

Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Cook in a little oil and cut into chunks with kitchen shears. Add 1 c salsa verde and warm through. Transfer to a food processor and pulse a few times until the meat is shredded finely. Season with salt, pepper, and comino to taste.

To assemble the flautas place the chicken filling (about 2 tablespoons) a bit off center (closer to you than perfectly centered), roll tightly and secure with a toothpick.* Fry in hot oil, turning once until they are golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve with queso, guacamole, salsa or sour cream.

*if the tortillas tear as you roll them pass them briefly through hot oil to soften them, allow to cool and then add filling. The fresher the tortilla the easier they will be to roll.

3 comments:

  1. I've never heard of a flauta, but I can tell you this, I would definitely like them!! Great after school snack for the kids too!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's cumin. I have a bad habit of just typing comino because that's what I call it, sorry!

    ReplyDelete