Monday, January 3, 2011

Pimento Cheese


I blame Hank for getting me hooked on Pimento Cheese. Had I not married into his wonderful family I might have never tried it. Hank's mom, Betty Lou, makes the finest and she was kind enough to share the recipe with me a few years ago. Here is what I make from memory, sometimes adding a little variety with hot pepper sauce, garlic salt, or worcestershire.


Pimento Cheese
(printable recipe)

1/2 lb. longhorn cheddar cheese*
1/4 onion
2-3 tbsp. pimentos, drained of liquid
mayonnaise
salt & pepper to taste

*if you can't find longhorn cheese use a sharp cheddar

Remove the red wax and shred the cheese. Mince the onion very finely. Combine the cheese, onion, and pimentos, add enough mayonnaise to moisten the mixture and form a very thick paste. Mix well. Add salt & pepper to taste and chill until ready to serve. Tastes even better after a day in the fridge.

Hot pepper sauce, cayenne, garlic salt, or worcestershire can be added to taste if desired.


Pimento cheese is great on crackers, celery, or sandwiches. Serve to hungry, sweaty, brides on their wedding day with an ice cold negro modelo. (worked for me on my wedding day!)

No comments:

Post a Comment