Friday, January 14, 2011

New Dishes


Those of you out there who know me are already aware of the fact that I love to go thrifting. I started shopping at thrift stores soon after I learned to drive as I prepared to move out on my own, purely for economical reasons. But then I experienced the thrill of the hunt. The excitement of finding a must have piece, like buried treasure, and for only $2.62! Amazing.

These days I shop at thrift stores just for the chance to find something unique. Hopefully its furniture (see my husband's business, Toshmahal), something I can wear, (that 1950's beaded cashmere sweater? yes, thrifted. thanks.) or use in the kitchen somehow, like these great plates!

I have a severe weakness for vintage china patterns. I've versed myself in a lot of the manufacturers and pattern names, and I like to think I have a keen eye, but really the stuff I'm after is pretty easy to spot. Luckily Hank shares my taste and doesn't think it odd that we have random plates and pieces. And hey, they come in handy for food photos too! I'll have to remember that... "This? Its for the blog of course! Got to keep it interesting ya know?" Ha.
So I hoard plates. I'm ok with that.


Anyways, these are my latest acquisitions. I've lusted after the pattern on the plates for some time. The color palette, the line weight and style of the drawing- I love it! The plates are by Harmony House, which was a Sears brand in the 40's and 50's. The pattern is El Dorado. Now before you all rush off to do an ebay search, I will say that these seem to be pretty hard to find. And I will outbid you. (kidding)

The other little gem in the photo is a sombrero dip server I found this past weekend. Isn't it darling? The top portion of the hat lifts off to reveal a bowl underneath. I can't wait to fill it with warm black bean dip. It has only CA - USA on the bottom so I have no idea of its manufacturer, but would love to learn more.

What do you collect? Do you hoard dishes like I do? Or collect old microphones, fans or other cool stuff?

5 comments:

  1. Oh, my gosh! Do you suppose there's a matching salt and pepper somewhere? I'm dead envious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are really, really cute! And they really are great for blog pictures. (Smart thing to tell Hank!)

    And, yes, I'm a dishes hoarder too...and proud of it. I have service for 16 in Russel Wright Iroquois Casual in avocado yellow and ripe apricot. I've just recently started collecting Russel Wright American Modern in granite gray to mix and match with Metlox Aztec. I also have Paul McCobb restaurantware by Jackson China in the feather pattern that I mix and match with another striped pattern of his. There are some other Metlox patterns I want to collect, along with some Red Wing. I'm a total sucker when it comes to dishes, but I guess there are worse vices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Julie: I hope there is! I just scored a bunch more of this same pattern, no s&p shakers though, darn!

    @Dana: Yes, I've seen some of your dishes on your blog, they are gorgeous! I love the idea of mixing and matching, especially since I only have 1 set that is really complete.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Julie: The shakers do exist!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/30064423@N05/5055869137/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love, love those dishes. My house is over flowing with all that I love and I have had to tone it down. Thank goodness for my etsy business or I would have no excuse to go thrifting. So I say I am just looking for sweaters for recycling, it is kind of true. sweetpoppycat.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete