Thursday, January 13, 2011

Potato Soup


Its been especially cold these last few days. The wind is relentless, not to mention the snow we saw over the weekend. Times like these call for desperate measures er... I mean delicious hearty soup. This rich and creamy Potato Soup fits the bill. I can remember this soup from when I was a kid, bubbling away on the stove, my dad made it every winter. Its always been one of my favorites.

This rich and creamy Potato Soup is slow simmered until the potatoes are tender and shredded cheese is stirred in for a boost of flavor. I love to top each serving with thinly sliced green onion, crumbled bacon, and an extra sprinkling of cheese. Serve up a bowl with a chunk of crusty bread, its comfort food at its finest.


Potato Soup
(printable recipe)

3 celery stalks, sliced thin
1/2 yellow onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 lbs. white new potatoes
1 (10.75 oz.) can condensed cream of celery soup
1 (10.75 oz.) can condensed cream of broccoli soup
1 c chicken stock
3 tbsp. butter
1/2 c sour cream
2 c milk
oz. cheese (I use half sharp cheddar and half pepper jack), shredded

garnish:
thinly sliced green onion
crumbled bacon
shredded cheese

In a large pot cook the celery, onion, and garlic in 2-3 tbsp. of oil until they begin to soften. Peel the potatoes if you prefer, (I didn't) and dice into 3/4" chunks. Add the potatoes, soups, stock, butter, sour cream and milk. Stir well to combine and bring to a low simmer. Cover and cook for about 30 minutes, until the potatoes are cooked through and tender. My dad says to cook them till the edges are somewhat round. Add pepper and garlic salt to taste. Shred the cheese and stir into the soup, reserving some extra for garnish.
Serve hot garnished with green onion, fresh crumbled bacon, and shredded cheese with a piece of crusty bread.

1 comment:

  1. Somehow I missed this post. I was just talking to my daughter yesterday about my mom making the most delicious potato soup for me when I was sick. For some reason, I never made it much myself, but I think I'm going to have to start. Yours looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete