Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Pickled Jalapeños




I doubt many of us have Christmas on the brain, what with the 100+ degree weather we're having. I usually don't start thinking about Christmas until after Thanksgiving, but this past weekend I decided to plan ahead and put up some festive jalapeños in preparation for the holidays.


Pickled Jalapeños
(printable recipe)
adapted
from Ball, Complete Book of Home Preserving

2 1/2 lbs. mixed red & green jalapeño peppers*
6 c vinegar
2 c water
3 cloves crushed garlic
1/2 tsp. canning salt per pint
1 bay leaf per pint

Rinse the jalapeños, remove the stems and slice 1/4" thick rounds. Prepare canner, jars, and lids. (see Canning Basics)
Bring vinegar, water and garlic to a boil. Add salt to each jar and fill with peppers, cover with vinegar solution and stick a bay leaf into each jar. Wipe rims and apply lids. Process 10 minutes in a hot water bath.

Wait 4 weeks before using in your favorite dishes.

*I highly recommend wearing a glove if you are slicing by hand, or if you happen to have a mandolin slicer now is the time to use it! You may certainly use all red or green jalapeños if you like.

1 comment:

  1. Cool! I saw this on Yum. Next year I'll plant more jalapenos, but I think I'll have enough for at least a few pints. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete