Monday, July 5, 2010

Picadillo

There are probably about as many different recipes for picadillo as there are Hispanic cooks. This is mine, there's no raisins or nuts, just lots of beef and little bits of peppers, onions, and papas. I made this based on the memory of how my mom always makes hers, I think it comes pretty close.


You'll need ground beef, bell pepper, onion, jalapeño, red potato, oregano, chili powder, garlic powder, and comino.


Chop, chop, chop. Chop.

Begin with the beef, add a bit of salt & pepper and break up the meat a bit. Toss in the veggies, stir those around and give them a few minutes to cook. I should mention that I microwave the potato for a minute before adding it to speed things up. Then add your spices and chicken broth, continue to cook until the meat is browned and the vegetables are soft. Season with salt & pepper to taste.

Serve with fresh tortillas and frijoles.


Picadillo
(printable recipe)

2 lbs. ground sirloin
1 red potato, diced
1/2 white onion, diced
1/2 bell pepper, diced
1 jalapeño, minced
4 tsp. chili powder
4 tsp. comino (ground cumin)
2 tsp. garlic powder
3 tsp. mexican oregano
1/4 c chicken broth
s & p to taste

*I sometimes add tomato sauce with the chicken broth, you can also add diced tomato as well. Picadillo is easily adapted to use whatever vegetables are on hand.

6 comments:

  1. It's really hard to pick a favorite, but this one is way up there on the list. And, I don't even like onions. So much for eating small helpings when this one comes around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yum! I bookmarked this one..I can easily find all of the ingredients where I live:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wait..I dont think I can find Comino here..is there a substitute I can use for it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Sonya: Comino is spanish for ground cumin, its should be available in most grocery stores although its usually cheaper if you go to the ethnic foods aisle.
    Sorry for the confusion, I have to remember to catch myself on that one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gotcha..we have Cumin here:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM!!! I've been making this recipe for years. Only I dice my potatoes a little smaller and brown them adding onion towards the end. Then I remove them from the pan and brown my beef or ground turkey. I then add the potatoes to the meat, adding the same spices along with some tomato sauce with a little ACV and brown sugar. I simmer it until the sauce is absorbed. It's a very versatile recipe and really delicious.

    ReplyDelete